The City of Jacksonville, Arkansas is accepting applications for the position of Police Chief. Jacksonville is located just 13 miles north of Little Rock is home to Little Rock Air Force Base, Jacksonville Museum of Military History, Arkansas Game and Fish Foundation Shooting Complex, which is the largest in the State, and other attractions to suit just about anyone. The City of Jacksonville's population is 28,364 and spans 28.2 square miles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Jacksonville's Police Chief is responsible for directing a progressive department of 104 police personnel and 4 code enforcement personnel.
The Chief performs a variety of complex administrative work, including supervisory and professional work in planning, coordinating, and directing the activities of the Police Department.
The successful candidate for this position is a visionary leader and strong manager, with significant experience who is open to new ideas. This position is not only responsive to the City and the Police Department, but will also be part of the community through involvement. Successful candidates will live in, or be willing to live within City limits, within 1 year of hire.
Some of the Chief’s responsibilities are:
• Plan, coordinate, supervise, and evaluate police department operations.
• Develop policies and procedures for the department mandated by law, to ensure efficient operations of the department, and to implement directives from the Mayor.
• Plan and implement a law enforcement program for the City in order to better carry out the policies and goals of the Mayor and City Council; review department performance and effectiveness, formulate programs and/or policies to alleviate deficiencies.
The following attributes and characteristics are desired in our Police Chief:
• Must be a visionary leader and strong manager with significant experience who is open to new ideas.
• He/she will be visible, accessible, and responsive not only to the City and Department, but also to the community. It is expected that the Police Chief will become a part of the community through involvement in community events.
• The Police Chief will develop a multi-cultural awareness of the community and will work to diversify the Department accordingly.
• He/she will have strong financial skills, be open to new technology and will be comfortable working with the media and able to market the Department and promote its efforts.
• The City is looking for a participative and relationship-oriented Police Chief, one who is willing to partner with others to accomplish goals and objectives.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in criminology, law enforcement, sociology, or related-field; and sufficient experience as necessitated:
• Law enforcement operations, procedures, practices, and systems
• Value of community policing and community support
• Role of computer technology in police operations
• Role of law enforcement in the Criminal Justice system
• Effectively command department units in an emergency or disaster situation
• Developing and maintaining an accurate sense of community service needs
• Functioning effectively as a liaison between the Police Department and other city departments, agencies, and the public
Licensing & Certification:
• Minimum of fifteen (15) years of full-time experience as a certified law enforcement officer, with five (5) of those years at rank of Captain or higher, or equivalent.
• Thorough knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment.
• Thorough knowledge of applicable laws, ordinances, and department rules and regulations.
Preferred Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in police science or equivalent.
• Graduate of FBI National Academy, or FBI Command College.
• CLEST Certification (Intermediate or above)
• Experience with Code Enforcement
Any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience may be considered qualifying.
Please submit a City of Jacksonville Application along with your resume or CV to:
Jill Ross, Director of Human Resources via:
• Email- firstname.lastname@example.org
• Fax- 501-982-4670
• Mail/Hand-Deliver- #1 Municipal Drive, Jacksonville, AR 72076
The City of Jacksonville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.